Impax aspires to best practices across all aspects of the management of its listed and private equity investments. Environmental, Social and Governance ("ESG") considerations are embedded within our rigorous ten step investment process for listed equities. Failure by a company to reach the required ESG score will prevent our investment.
Impax engages with investee companies and undertakes long term engagement to improve practice and disclosure across their governance and sustainability activities. In 2018, Impax undertook 115 proactive ESG engagement initiatives. We view proxy voting as a key activity in the ongoing dialogue with companies in which we invest. We are committed to ensuring the consistent exercise of voting rights associated with shares held in investment mandates where proxy voting has been delegated to us. Impax supports the UK Stewardship Code and complies with its guidelines regarding proxy voting and engagement. We publically disclose a summary of our proxy voting activity on a quarterly basis.
We are additionally members of (or signatories to):
- Principles for Responsible Investment (UN PRI): Aims to help investors integrate ESG considerations into investment decision making and supports sharing best practice in active ownership.
- Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC): A forum for collaboration on climate change for European investors.
- Investor Network on Climate Risk (INCR): Partners with investors worldwide to advance investment opportunities and reduce material risks posed by sustainability challenges such as global climate change and water scarcity.
- The Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP): An independent organisation holding the largest database of corporate climate change information in the world.
- UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association (UKSIF): Provides services and opportunities to align investment profitability with social and environmental responsibility.
- USSIF: A US based membership association promoting sustainable, responsible and impact investment.
- Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN): The largest global community of impact investors (asset owners and asset managers) and service providers engaged in impact investing.
- Thirty Percent Coalition: Working to achieve greater board diversity among U.S. companies through collaborative engagements among institutional investor members.
- Ceres: An organization working with investors and companies to build sustainability leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Ceres addresses topics climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
- United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI)